The Disney Armed Forces Salute is a unique discount offer. Other offers are marketing tools, used by Disney to attract guests to particular resorts or ticket packages during specific periods of time. They’re just part of the overall economic calculus of running Disney Parks & Resorts. In contrast, the Disney Armed Forces Salute is negotiated between Disney and the Department of Defense. The discounts are substantial, and their availability is determined by the agreement between Disney and the DoD. Similarly, eligibility for this discount program is determined by that agreement. While there are some “edge” areas that may require a closer look, as a general matter those eligible for the Disney Armed Forces Salute discount are:
Current members of the military: Active Duty, Reserves, National Guard, Coast Guard, Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, NOAA Commissioned Corps
Retired members of the military: from one of the services mentioned above. Note that this does NOT include everyone with a service record. Retired refers to official military retirement.
100% Service-connected disabled: a small subset of non-military-retired disabled veterans are also eligible. Eligible disabled vets will have the code DAVPRM on their military issued ID.
Spouse: A spouse may use this discount only by “standing in the shoes” of their eligible service member spouse. Non-spouse dependents may not use the eligible service member’s discount.
If you have a question about whether you are eligible for this discount, give us a call and we’ll be happy to help you figure it out.
Disney Armed Forces Salute tickets are different from the regular discounted Disney theme park tickets often available from military base ticket offices. Salute tickets are more heavily discounted and come with their own special rules and restrictions. Key rules and restrictions to be aware of:
1) Each eligible service member may purchase up to six (6) Walt Disney World Disney Armed Forces Salute tickets AND up to six (6) Disneyland Armed Forces Salute Tickets. (If you have more than six people in your immediate family, Disney’s policy is to permit additional tickets to be purchased, but ONLY for immediate family. (E.g. Mom can buy eight AFS tickets so that her husband and their six children can all travel together with discounted tickets. But Mom will probably not be permitted to buy eight AFS tickets to that her husband, two children, and four grandparents can all travel together with discounted tickets). That maximum number of tickets is for the full time period of the offer (a couple could use their benefit for three separate trips each to Walt Disney World and Disneyland).
2) Armed Forces Salute ticket expiration works differently – Once a ticket is purchased and activated, it can be used until the offer period ends on December 19, 2017. These tickets do not expire 14 days after first use, like regular Magic Your Way tickets. The tickets are also not divided into Adult/Child tickets – all tickets are priced the same, regardless of age.
3) Armed Forces Salute tickets must be activated before first use – The eligible service member MUST be present and must present ID establishing eligibility when the tickets are first going to be used. Once activated by Guest Relations, military ID will not need to be re-verified with each use of the ticket.
4) Even before they are activated, the Armed Forces Salute tickets can be linked to a My Disney Experience account, and the regular rules for FastPass+ booking eligibility apply (i.e. you can book FastPasses 60 days in advance if you also have a Disney Resort Hotel reservation linked to your account for the dates you’re trying to book; 30 days in advance if you do not have a Disney Resort Hotel reservation).
Disney Armed Forces Salute tickets can be purchased at many on-base ticket offices, at Walt Disney World and Disneyland ticket sales locations, and at Walt Disney World, they can also be purchased at Shades of Green. The eligible service member must be present to purchase the tickets form the resort ticket locations, and present proper identification to establish eligibility.
Previous Armed Forces Salute offers have been for a single ticket length. This year, Walt Disney World and Disneyland Armed Forces Salute tickets each be purchased in either of two lengths:
Walt Disney World: Four-Day Park Hopper – $209/ticket | Five-Day Park Hopper – $224/ticket (Add the Water Park Fun & More Option to either ticket for $37/ticket)
Disneyland: Three-Day Park Hopper – $156/ticket | Four-Day Park Hopper – $181/ticket
The the Disney Armed Forces Salute time period, substantial discounts are also available to eligible individuals at Disney resort hotels.
Walt Disney World: 40% off at Deluxe & Deluxe Villa Resorts; 35% off at Moderate Resorts; 30% off at Value Resorts
In addition to the usual capacity restrictions, some resorts and/or room types may be excluded from the offer, including Campsites, Disney’s Polynesian Village Bungalows and Standard (Little Mermaid) rooms at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort.
Note that the size of these discounts is such that, especially for higher-ranking service members, a discounted Resort Hotel reservation may be less expensive than Shades of Green.
Disneyland: 40% off at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel; 35% off at the Disneyland Hotel; 30% off at Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel. Only standard rooms are included in the discount offer.
Important Disney Armed Forces Salute hotel discount rules and restrictions:
1) This discount can be used as many times as you want during the covered period, however there are limits on the number of rooms you can book under this discount at the same time.
2) At Walt Disney World, a qualified individual can book up to three rooms at a time at the discount rate. A Disneyland, a qualified individual can book up to two rooms at a time at the discount rate.
3) The qualified individual our qualified individual’s spouse must be staying in the discounted room (or one of the rooms, if multiple rooms have been booked)
4) When booking multiple rooms at the same time, all rooms must be at the same resort hotel and check-in on the same day. Check-out may vary.
5) The number of rooms available at the military discounted rate at each resort hotel is limited – prepare to be flexible with your resort preference and/or date preference